Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Monday, September 30, 2013

DC and back Again: Yas Is On A Travel Tangent

Oh, did I mention how much I LOVE the city? I had to go home to DC this weekend for CAIR's (Council on American Islamic Relations) 19th Annual Banquet. I won their Rosa Parks Award. CAIR is a phenomenal organization and I will do a blogpost on them soon.

I got to see grandma, and my bros! Man, they're growing taller. Our grandparents from Canada came down, so I got to see them also.

On Sunday, on the drive back to North Carolina the city was live! There was a Caribbean festival going on, and passing through Dupont Circle a Jazz/GoGo like band was playing on a street corner and some young women were dancing in front of them...HILARIOUS!

And I saw two teenage-looking, young adults (if that makes any sense, lol) running across the street holding hands, then embracing each other, cupping each others faces...how cute.

Then as the couple continued to walk, a woman runs past them (she was jogging) and the boyfriend of the couple does this obvious head turn to watch the girl run. I wonder what that was about, lol.

I'll be back in DC on Thursday for the College Success Foundation's Annual Fundraising Breakfast. Then come to see Steve Woniak (co-founder of Apple speak here at Elon).

Tomorrow Tino and I are going to see Michelle Alexander lecture at Wake Forest University. OH, HOW I WISH TO MEET HER! My undergraduate research is on just that, Parental (Mass) Incarceration and it's Effects on the Educational Outcomes of Their Offspring. I reached out to Wake Forest to let them know I would be attending and that I hope to meet her. I was told, I probably wouldn't get the opportunity because of Alexander's busy schedule. I then asked if they would at least have a Q&A, and they will but it's ONLY for "Wake Forest students", but it's a free event. What kind of discrimination is that?

The main goal of any educational organization (I know of course is to its students first), but the overarching goal should be to ensure that all undergraduate students get the most out of their school career/research, etc. That's a hot mess...

Anyways, I'm not going to let that discourage me because I've had people say way worse/mean things and NONE OF THAT HAS STOPPED ME YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews