Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

PROVE IT!

Hello All.

For those of you who don't know, I have spent the past two months interning at an advertising agency this summer. No I'm not an advertising or marketing major, I'm a Communications major but when it comes down to it they all overlap in one way or another and they all require effective communication, that's for sure! :) I have learned an immense amount about the business, account management, tending to client's need, the creative process, etc. Let me just say I realize how blessed I am to be a young African American female working a paid internship at one of the world's top advertising agencies, living and maneuvering in New York all by myself! This summer has been by far the best summer I've ever had. I have learned more than I ever thought I would about the corporate work environment, stepping out of my comfort zone, and learning when people violate you or treat you wrong to speak up for yourself! Otherwise, people will feel that they can walk all over you or treat you any way they want to. And when you speak up for yourself, people will respect you for it.

As a part of my internship experience I was put into an intern team and our client was Coca-Cola...a pretty big client for summer interns. And the best news is...MY TEAM WON! At first it was hard...I did not feel that my voice was valued and people would talk over me; I felt that when I shared ideas, no one liked them, so I decided to be quiet. This was something I regret, but as time went on and we got to know each other and learn about our commonalities I became more vocal. I was often challenged by my teammates...I did not like being challenged or feeling like I was being judged as incapable, but honestly, it pushed me to prove them (and anyone else who expected less of me) wrong...that I CAN memorize a speech and that I CAN come up with a brilliant partnership idea and that I CAN articulate well and speak enthusiastically in public about our idea. Unfortunately, I felt that I had to prove myself to my intern team and to my actual account team...however, I realize that that is the name of the game. Though my counterparts may not have expressed it, they in their own ways had to prove themselves as well.

I am so used to people knowing who I am, and knowing about my background and capabilities that I am not necessarily used to being challenged and questioned and having to prove myself, but at the end of the day it made me a better person. It has equipped me with a tougher skin and a sharper mind. I'm definitely ready for my senior year of college.

Below is a picture of my intern team the day of our first presentation and some of our props :) I'm in the red blazer of course.

My job has a campaign going on called 'What Matters Most,' to challenge us to think what things matter most in the workplace. They have posters hanging all over the building that everyone can write on. I think it's genius because it is very easy for people to get into a comfortable cycle and forget those things that are most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews