Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

President Obama Speaks on Trayvon Martin and My Thoughts

First of all, I appreciate the president's honesty. On Fox news, a group of analysts criticized Rev. Al Sharpton and President Obama for being "bad leaders" in cases like these involving race. They both were simply being honest, and in their honesty told the truth. In my definition a good leader is one WHO CAN AND DOES tell the truth. President Obama on Trayvon Martin

President Obama said that there are not many black men in this country who haven't experienced being followed around in a store (for someone's fear that they will rob) or walking past a car and hearing the doors lock. That's a horrible, degrading feeling. He IS RIGHT, when he says "Trayvon Martin could've been my son. It could've been me." Who truly knows who Travyon Martin could have turned out to be or vice versa about the president. Many analysts have said that these black leaders ought not to "pick old scabs" or "dwell on the past" but yet they do not consider the circumstances surrounding the case. What they're calling "the past" is virtually STILL the present.

A young, black teenage boy was being followed because he was suspected as being dangerous and was shot, even when Zimmerman was told to cease following him. The person who shot him was immediately released from police afterwards, yet so many other times a black person shoots someone of another race and is given heavy sentence...often times many years, or life without parol...double life. Isn't it also strange that Zimmerman changed his argument from "self-defense"?...Right, because he knows that's a load of it! Crazy. Unfortunately, I have realized that our justice system will never be 100% "fair" or completely "just," because it's all run by imperfect people. There will always be an underdog and there will always be a terminator or dominator.

2) Analysts have made claims that Rev. Al Sharpton "yearns for the times of the Civil Rights Movement," and is sparking rage within the black community and "dividing the nation" however, I argue that he's one of the few true, visible black activists from that era we have left and his is a significant leader in our community. He is not "dividing" a nation, but uniting and comforting a people who are still hurting. This is exactly what President Obama was trying to explain to people who have the slightest idea and that is that, blacks look at this case from a perspective of years and years of abuse, neglect, and hurt. This case screams to blacks "It's ok to shoot a black person simply because you claim he was looking suspicious, or that he did a criminal act and you shot and killed him. It's ok to then say that you were merely defending yourself, when the other person did not originally approach you in intent of attack. It's also ok for policeman to release a suspect because they can determine themselves what is truth. It's also ok to get the defendant off by saying that they are not guilty because there is no hard-core evidence, when there were only two people on the scene, of whom only one is alive." There is something truly wrong here.

3) Who is to say that this was a truly fair trial? Who was the jury made up of? What did releasing pictures of Trayvon Martin have to do with who killed him? If a defense can release photos of someone and make a claim that that person is prone to violence and therefore shooting him is justified, then what we're saying is it's ok to base a case/claim off of irrelevant, outside [non]evidence to the actual event. That also is saying that a defense lawyer can change around an entire case by creating a false scenario and present it as truth (ex: this persons' pictures show that he was a thug/violent and therefore it's safe for my client to have murdered them for walking down the street. They're justified.) My conclusion: police and defense lawyers have too much power!

4) Many are hollering if we cared or got enraged enough about black on black crime then things wouldn't be as bad. My response to that is, this is a legit argument, however, it's a separate issue and it takes away from the urgency in this case (though the verdict has already been made). And many people are angry and doing something about black on black crime. There are LOTS of organization out there trying to educate communities and end violence...but YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEM, because the News NEVER highlights them.

Everyone needs to take their blinders off. You can't sit around at your kitchen table calling black people "Good for nothing N*****s and thinking the worst of them (they're all lazy. they're all dumb. they're all thugs.) and then come out on tv and say "Well, they [black people] need to stop picking old scabs. We must have faith in our justice system." It's a double standard. Why would anybody trust a system, or person at that who has burned them time and time again? Everyone, can relate to that on an individual level. Come on, would you trust someone who kept burning you or deceiving you multiple times? For many of us, it only takes one good time and we dismiss that person out of our lives...we block them on Facebook. Block them on our phones or change our number. Change the locks to the house...

I know I am still venting, because like so many others I am still hurt, saddened, disappointed and confused. All I know for sure is that, for me, there is only ONE who is completely just in judgement and that is Jesus Christ. So for everyone who thinks they "got away" with crimes here on Earth, will pay ultimately when Judgment time comes. Second, is that I am black and I am female and that I must do my best to continue to educate myself and stay on top of my game as always, because if I do not, I will easily give someone the excuse to judge me, to disrespect me (like the prosecution did to Rachel Jeantel), and/or walk all over me. And that AIN'T Happening! And...Yes, I said AINT! We must educate our children and show them love. We must tell them to pull up their pants and stop looking like thugs, so people can't use that as a excuse to abuse them. One of the quotes my grandmother always told me is that "It's not always what it is, but what it looks like."

Lastly, I will say I know without a doubt that people will disagree with me, because they still have blinders on or truly cannot understand. But if you comment, please do so respectfully without profanity or degrading statements and if you do...I can always DELETE! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews