Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rachel Jeantel on the Witness Stand

I was watching Rachel answer questions from the prosecution and saw Anderson Cooper's interview with one of the jurors after the trial, who by the way chose not to identify herself and I feel some kind of way about the whole thing. I think the best thing for me to do is list all of the things that bothered me and explain why.

1) I was disappointed in her presentation. I understand that she was sad and under stress but, I think she understood that the defense had it out for her, so she should have spoken "clearly and loudly"--as the judge had to annoyingly ask her to do WAY too many times. However, I can empathize because Rachel has a speech impediment (as she explained in her interview with Piers Morgan), she was of course frustrated and she grew up in an environment where all she really spoke was slang. ...Someone should've told Rachel not to keep shaking on the stand and sit up straight. This gave the prosecution an excuse to be disrespectful.
2) I was agitated with the way in which the prosecution treated Rachel. They treated her as though she was dumb. This was obvious because of the tone in which the questions were asked, and often re-asked and/or rephrased.
3) I do not like what the juror who was interviewed by Anderson Cooper said. She said that "I didn't think it was very credible. I felt sorry for her...I think she felt inadequate toward everyone...because of her education and her communication skills." So my question is, if she was THE LAST person Trayvon was speaking with on the phone, why was her testimony not credible? Americans have a problem with superiority and thinking that people of a certain status, background and/or demeanor are better than others.
4) Did the prosecution really have to keep repeating what he knew he heard Rachel say? He was focusing on and emphasizing what he thought to be racial slurs. What does this really have to do with Trayvon Martin's death and who shot him? Come on now! I really need to be a lawyer...I would tear nonsense people a part.
Rachel Jeantel's Piers Morgan Interview

Whew...ok. I just had to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews