Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Homeless Man Asks, Want Some Fresh Krispy Kremes?

Well, yesterday was quite the day for me! In the evening as the sun was going down, on my way home from an awesome networking social outing, I found myself being stopped by a homeless man holding up a deluxe box of a hot, fresh batch of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts asking "Aaayy, do you want a fresh Krispy Kreme?" ...Not what you typically find yourself being asked from homeless guys. However, this guy intrigued me. Pulling out my ipod earphone, I asked smiling, "Why are you giving out Kripsy Kremes?! He said they were just given to him and he couldn't eat all of them. I rejected the offer, but I could not help but to be curious about HIM. This guy looked rather young and was very handsome...clean cut...he did not exude any unpleasant smells either.
Now I know you are already thinking...WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU YASMINE?! Well, now...that's where YOU'RE WRONG! He had two things to give me that are priceless to me and rare to find nowadays and that is his unadulterated TIME AND WISDOM, or as he called is WISE-DOME! He was a very intelligent man...so smart that he made a joke saying, "I hope you don't go posting online that 'I met a homeless guy today,'" but I would be a fool not to share what I learned.
He was so smart, and he has been through so much. He was the oldest of four or five kids and said he practically raised his sisters like they were his daughters. His family suffers from alcoholism and depression. The funny thing is my family does too...not everyone, but it runs in the family. You just never know how or where you may end up...he worked as a security guard at several places. Poor baby said that he ended up in a Psych Ward by the age of about 14 or 16 he said....He grew up in DC, like me, and went to Coolidge high school or COOL-I-D-G-E, as he said it, about five blocks from my house. And he also  went to the same middle school I attended, Paul.
Before you know it, I was sitting on a stoop at Union Station being schooled and entertained all at the same time by this homeless man. But when I was talking to him, he was not homeless...he was just a man...a friend. He said he was about to turn 40, yet he looked no older than 25...Black man, fare-skinned, muscularly built, clean cut, beautiful smile...AND BOY COULD HE SING! Though his parents gave him a common American name, he calls himself his name in Hebrew. I CANNOT GET OVER HOW WISE HE WAS...He even inquired about my ScholarCHIPS T-shirt...I always wear so proud wherever I go! That will probably be the FIRST and LAST time I am ever offered fresh Kripsy Kreme Doughnuts by a homeless man (who I hope will get back on his feet soon), but I certainly hope this is first of many times, a homeless man will give me his free wisdom! Have you ever heard that saying..."Treat people right...because you never know...you may be entertaining an angel"?...If I ever thought I met an angel in disguise, he would be it! YES! HE WOULD BE IT!

1 comment:

  1. "Barbie W/ Brains"June 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

    Great story Hun! Its not every day that people sit and talk to homeless people. You were lucky to have met him,because if he i sas talented as you say his day will come where he won't be homeless, but he will be successful. You really embraced the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover". Maybe this was a sign from God telling you that you should expand your helping hand to more people. Anywho, I hope you have a gr8 day and continue posting about your fascinating. life.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews