Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

From The Baby Boomers to Mayor Julian Castro

"We know that in our free market economy, some will prosper more than others...but what we won't accept is the idea that some folks won't ever get a chance! Freedom isn't free, but neither is opportunity" YES! This is a quote from the first ever Hispanic Keynote Democratic National Convention Speaker. Now that's a well put-together speech! Talk about excellent public speaking dynamics...lol I thought it was cool that Mayor Julian Castro was introduced by his twin brother! I was very inspired. In the audience I thought it was so uplifting to see people holding Texan signs, and signs with single words of such great meaning... some signs said "Viva Obama y Castro," "Felicidades Castro," my favorite was the sign that said "Opportunidad."
Coincidentally in one of my classes, I am reading 'Democracy's Children,' which is a book based on the Baby Boomer Generation and why they were perhaps the most educated generation in history and the most unquieted...now this is the author's thesis, but it makes sense. After World War II gender roles changed...women were no longer simply confined to being house wives and some even continued to work after their husbands came home...in the home, parents raised their children in a more democratic style, catering to their children's individual needs and respecting their opinions, not like it once was that 'a child should be seen and not heard.' From there, schools began to implement the idea of Progressivism and use the classroom as a tool for social change. THIS was the generation of Rock and Roll, of civil rights protests, of the Feminism Movement...of more open sexuality...because they were reared up different than any other generation before, they brought about the beginning of radical societal change in which we still see the ripple effects of today!
I know you were wondering where I was going with that, but this is the generation whom Mayor Castro praised in his speech for their dedication to us, their sacrifices and investments in OUR future. My grandmother was born at the end of this era, so I know a little somethin,' somethin' about the Baby Boom :) kekekeke I digress. It always intrigues me to hear of the bravery of this 1940s generation. This was also an era of GREAT MUSIC! It's funny, while reading this book all the 1930s, 40s, and 50s songs I learned about in my Music and Propaganda class came back to mind. Bob Dylan. The song 'I AM WOMAN!' We all know Elvis Presley. WOODSTOCK definitely came to mind. Anyways...from that time period, up to me watching the Keynote speaker at the 2012 Democratic Convention has inspired me. Sometimes being my age, I feel stuck. Sometimes folks who are at the head of radical change-making, are not always in it for the actual change, but the way it looks. This makes it hard for little college students like me with big dreams and the gap of money called OPPORTUNITY! But I will continue to work hard and dream BIG and keep pressing and when I get to that place of National influence I will do my very best to help little people with big dreams. It's nothing like getting rejected time and time again..believe it or not I know a little something about rejection too...in fact most of us have experienced rejection at sometime or another in our lives...but let's let this time before presidential elections be a time of inspiration, a time to sit back and observe, and a time to let our imaginations run wild with the possibilities!
Signing off, Yours Truly...Yaz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews