Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Poverty Simulation: Discovered Things About My Own Life Status

Simulation is defined as, the imitation of a real-life process or system overtime. Last week, I was invited on campus to assist with a Poverty Simulation as the Quik Cash Cashier. I will come back to this...this is crucial. Basically, a class was divided into groups representing potential real-life family dynamics. For example some families had two kids, or an infant, some had none; some with elderly parents, some single-parent homes, etc. Each were given packets with a description/background of their family, but no instructions to survive. Some were given money, some started the simulation with no money. Some had transportation passes, some did not (note: you need transportation passes for wherever you go). In the simulation there were the basic institutions present that influence and affect our everyday lives...a school, hospital, bank, bill collection agency, police department, pawn shop, homeless shelter, Quik (quick) Cash and maybe a couple of other critical institutions (I can't remember).
As the Quik Cash Cashier, I probably had one of the most crucial roles, I found. Many of the families (who were at or below the poverty line) unfortunately, had to come to me to cash checks and I could deduct as much for myself as I wanted. This is after taxes are deducted from one's check. I could cheat people, and in fact did if they did not count their money and if they came back without a receipt, I sent them to the back of the line. People had to come to me also to buy transportation passes. They were a dollar each, however I was not to inform that they could buy a monthly pass for $35. No one asked for one, out of 50 or so people. This would actually save them money and instead of having to keep buying one dollar passes for everywhere they went, they could use the monthly pass and go anywhere, unlimited. This totally reminded me of the transportation system in DC. I could also take people's car titles in exchange for cash. So my Quik Cash stop officially operated like the modern day Cash Point, or Cash For Gold would operate. Some people came to me trying to use their EBT (welfare) card or trying to exchange food stamps for cash, which is illegal. All of this however, rung a big bell for me. I realized all that goes on behind the scenes. It taught me to make sure that from now on in real life, I count my cash before I walk off...now I know you are probably saying that's common sense anyway, but just be honest for a moment...You know you've walked off at least once without thoroughly counting your money or asking for a receipt...and later realized you'd been jipped! I learned to be more cognizant of services that are not presented up front, but are possible to obtain, for example the monthly passes.
In the simulation, some people got evicted from their homes. Some were not able to buy the necessary food every week, or were not able to afford to take their kids to the hospital because it would be too expensive. As the Quik Cash Cashier, I was able to decide when I would stop cashing checks (usually when my money was low). Anyways, I am sharing this with you because I found it amazingly eye-opening! Even though I am familiar with some of these systems, I have not yet had a family to raise so of course there are many things I don't know. If I ever lead a Girl Scout Troop, or any group of youth or people borderline to poverty, I will get them to do this exercise. And for the more privileged students on campus, it showed them how hard it is for a financially-struggling family to survive. Have you done a simulation like this or had an experience relevant in real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews