Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What Are Your Intentions? Feelings Are Dangerous

These days are perhaps my first true initial experiences being held in the public eye. I was recently featured on the front page of Elon University's website homepage and on BET's website simultaneously. However, with this new mass exposure means I will be watched more, held accountable more, looked up to more, but also more susceptible to people watching and waiting for me to slip up. This is not just for me, but ANYONE in the public eye or in a leadership position. It's a lot of pressure...especially considering that fact that we're all human and we have a natural tendency to sin and make mistakes. We even make mistakes on complete and total accident (did you catch that one, haha).
I'm sharing with you my heart and my experiences (good and bad) because 1) I believe it's important to be transparent, 2) perhaps you can learn from my mistakes, and 3) when I write to you, I learn and iterate universal truths for myself as well. I HAVE to write a book one day about all the crazy ridiculous things I've experienced, seen, and heard.
But back to my main point...there are always two sides to a story, but it's important to have the capacity to see and understand both sides. When you only see your side as 100% correct, it will skew your thought-process and you will end up being apathetic or lacking in compassion. Further along the lines of seeing the other side, you must also be able to see people as people! Doing something not because you think you are right but because you are either feeling a bubbling sense of jealousy, envy (which is different), retaliating, or doing something to be spiteful please reconsider your actions. Realize that while you want to retaliate against someone because you feel threatened or wronged....REMEMBER, and this is imperative....remember that you are human too and one day your fate will be in the hands of someone else. Maybe someone will have the final say as to whether you will be let go from your job...Power is a powerful thing. One can use it for good and one can use it for bad or to hurt other people, unfortunately. We've seen the worst in people like Hitler and the best in people like Clinton arguably. Many who do not have religious ties even believe in the principle of karma, so keep this in mind when you feel you have been wronged or feel like hurting someone. Don't worry, I have not hurt anyone recently, but my character has been attacked. This is not the first time and it certainly won't be the last. I just want you to know the danger of such feelings...people have committed suicide and mass slaughters behind these kinds of things. I KNOW where my strength comes from and I know that though I may be knocked down on the mat once, twice, maybe even three times...I can and will get back up. Nothing except for death will keep me from my destiny!
One thing I have learned and do know is that prejudice is still alive and well...it lurks in the darkest, quietest corners and sneaks in the night and suffocates you of life. It causes innocent people their lives, sometimes everything they've ever built. But there is ALSO a such thing as justice.
I also know that it is important to be able to swallow your pride and admit you are wrong when you are wrong, but just because you are wrong, does not mean you are a horrible person and that DOES NOT MEAN by any standards that you have to take verbal or physical abuse.
If anything and in everything, I am proud to say that in my hardest times, I learn the most...these are the times and the mistakes that keep me humble and aware. I hope you appreciate this. Peace and Love!
Til Next Time, Yaz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews