Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

All Equal Under Law: I Think Not!

Been Doing some research on famous murder cases for my English class synthesis. I looked at the Troy Davis Case, the Casey Anthony Case, the Lionel Tate case, and the O.J Simpson Case. Any of these sounds familiar? It is my belief that court cases (murder cases in particular) more often than not come to final verdicts that reflect the characteristics of the defendant. What do I mean by that? Essentially, gender, race, and socioeconomic status are unfortunately determining factors of your fate if you are convicted of a crime. This is very problematic because we are all supposed to be "Equal Under the Law" and judges are supposed to make rulings solely based on the facts and the law; however, this is far, far from the truth of what actually happens.
This was a very interesting research topic I chose and I can definitely do so much more with this. What do you think about my thesis and further research possibilities?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that you would be hard pressed to find anyone academically or in the community at large who would disagree with your thesis. One comedian, I think it was Chris Rock, famously joked about at what age a child is a child. He then selected real cases in which children (under 18) were part of a crime- perpetrators or victims- and made jokes about how they were treated in the media and under the law ostensibly b/c of their race and class. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes--it was Dave Chapelle. I remember seeing that! "How old is 16 Really?" What he was saying is so true! And not only that, but hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews