Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

USC Leadership Diversity Conference 2012 Ignite Change/Changed My Life!

Hello ladies and gents, whom I love so very much. I do not even know where to start and/or how to explain the experience I just had this saturday! This past week was rather hard for me. Sometimes you just feel lonely. I was feeling frustrated, lonely, helpless, which is very rare for me to feel. I literally sat down on a bench next to our central campus duck pond in the night and sat and wept (not cried but wept) for two whole hours. I had a conversation with God. I whined to Him and told Him that I cannot do this alone! I cannot go through school simply going through the motions and not having personal interactions with people! I cannot loose 50 pounds with no support. I cannot raise $30,000 for a non-profit with no official board! I cannot, I CANNOT, I cannot! I was fed up and felt defeated, but I know He heard me and He certainly answered in a transforming way. On Saturday I went with three co-workers of mine and a boss down to the University of South Carolina. Talk about beautiful! Plam trees, cool breeze, and warm weather. They were hosting a Leadership/Diversity Conference called "IGNITE CHANGE" and student leaders from all over NC and SC were present. I went to some amazing sessions! 1)Success Begins in the Mind (Closing the Black-White gap), 2) Your Personal Brand, 3) The Leadership Juggle: How to Effectively Communicate and Work in Groups. As you can see from the titles alone, that I learned a bunch and more so than I can begin to tell. There were also motivational speakers and a great lunch! I love conferences like these! I met and talked to some of the most loving, mature, and accepting people, handed out my card, and took valuable notes, but it gets better. The keynote speaker named Joshua Fredenburg spoke on "How to Be and Effective Leader." He started off with what he calls a "positive affirmation experience." We all had to stand up straight and tall and shout things like "I look good! I smell good! I will make an impact in my family, community, nation, and world! I am smart! I am beautiful!" It goes on, but I literally began to tear up. I needed to hear this affirmation from a powerful, wealthy, humble man of God. I needed to hear this a room of young leaders and most importantly myself shouting out these words and believing them! After this, I was determined to meet him. It just so happened that he walked right past me before the end of the conference and I talked with him (gave him my card) and let him know that he was the answer to my prayers! I had to come all the way to South Carolina! I was not going to go to the Gospel Choir Tour for various reasons, but through him the Lord told me to swallow my pride and go. "Your talents are not about you, but other people," Mr. Joshus Fredenburg says. He told me "Get ready! You are singing before my final presentation!" I almost fell out. WHAT? So, I finally got to sing "His Eye Is On the Sparrow." All through gospel choirs in my younger years I wanted to sing that solo and never did, and at the least expected moment... the Lord said it was time. God really has a sense of humor, and I am so ever grateful. I got a standing ovation, a hug from Mr. Joshua, and a free cd.
But I got oh so much more--encouragement, affirmation, a solo, and an open door for mentorship from one of the greatest motivation speakers of our time. I just want to end by letting you know that if you are in a tough situation right now, are hurting mentally or physically, or in anything that doesn't feel good or look good...you just wait and your affirmation of positivity is coming! I hope to do what that man does one day--to change lives and inspire. Til then, I will keep my vision in the forefront of my mind and take each day one step @ a time! I love you, be encouraged and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews