Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One Step Forward, Ten Steps Back. Democracy? Post-Racial Era? PLZ!

Wow, just after watching a past reality as horrifying as what was captured in ROOTS. Right after having the first black president and right after the beginning of a new year...Tyler Perry just sent out an email to his followers stating that we will begin to see a great decline in movies will all Black casts and in fact he said that Black movies are on the verge of becoming extinct.
Tyler Perry says and I quote, "Ask any executive at a Hollywood Studio why, and most of them will tell you one of two things. The first thing they’ll say is that DVD sales have become very soft, so it’s hard for a movie with an all black cast to break-even.  Secondly they’ll say, most movies are now dependent on foreign sales to be successful and most “black” movies don’t sell well in foreign markets.  So what that means is you will begin to see less and less films that star an all black cast.   Isn’t that sad in a 2012 America? Somewhere along the way we still haven’t realized that we are more alike then not." 
Guys, I do not know if this blows my mind or breaks my heart more. There is not much to say. In addition, he said that George Lucas (famous movie producer) had to release and fund his all-black cast movie about the Tuskegee Airmen, "Red Tails," all by himself. When he took the idea to several studios no one wanted to be involved with it and some even refused to look at the script. I guess I should say that I am by no means surprised. Some things have changed over time, but many things have not and possibly never will, but I WILL NEVER STOP DREAMING! John Amos from ROOTS was right that "A Generation has grown up with a false sense of inclusion." 
All I know is I am Young, Black and Beautiful...IN COLLEGE (A PWI @ THAT), that is more of a blessing than I can say for a lot of people. I cannot change my past, or the color of my skin, but I can sure as heck fight for a better future for me and my future babies and my younger brothers. 
"Over there! Over there! Send a word, send a word over there...that YAZ is Coming, that Yaz is coming...the drums rum tuming everywhere! So prepare, say a prayer. Send a word, send the word over there that Yaz is coming, that Yaz is coming, and I won't come back til it's over over there!" (My rendition of "Over There" a WWI propaganda song by George Cohan). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews