Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

"We Will Party and Exercise, But Don't Tell Us To THINK!"

Guys, sometimes I do not know if I can make it here. On a good day I can tolerate it, on a bad day...oh boy! So you ask, what in the world are you talking about Yasmine? What is so frustrating is that most "young adults" here give way more [too much] passion to clubbing and going to the gym daily then they do attempting to put their brains to use and answer questions in class. I mean, maybe it's just me! I see and sense a terrible obsession amongst these girls to be thin. I just go to the gym to be healthy, to burn some calories, and tighten my big already lovely thighs. haha :) These girls will not jog, not run, but literally haul tail on a treadmill for 40 minutes. For all of that, I would think that they might as well join the cross country team. And for what? Is this all to be healthy or sexy? Do guys really look at a stick of 80 pounds and say "Ohhh, that is sexy?" Am I missing something?
Around here folks start partying on Tuesday. Crazy right? In class, you already know how the laptop in the face irritates me, but when any teacher asks important, insightful, and relevant questions everyone looks up so dumbfounded or still has their face glued to their computer screen. It never ceases to amaze me. Is your voice not important? Do you not have an opinion? Gggesssh. And it's not just them, my people act up in various ways as well.
In my Music and Propaganda class we have gone through all eras of war in America and the music that derived from those times. Way back when both Black and White men were passionate about whatever their cause was. Women were passionate about liberation and getting into the work force. Now girls sit in the classroom in their leggings, with laptops, next to boys not realizing that none of this would be possible if it weren't for our forefathers. If they could see us now...I believe they would be highly disappointed. Sometimes I feel like my hard thinking, reaching beyond the glass ceiling, and critical analysis are all going to waste. What is a girl to do? I came from a place where brown-nosing was an addiction and here no one gives a rats tail about a million dollars worth of an education they're not paying for. WHAT IS UP?

2 comments:

  1. Gee, it is really great to see a former student writing about the importance of history. Even better because I am the history teacher.

    Mr. G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis true Mr. G, and the funny thing is is that my teacher reminds me very much of you. He is very passionate about history! Thank you for still following and supporting me...it means more than you'll ever know!

      Delete

Total Pageviews