Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Drunkorexia: New College Disease

    It seems as though all the new mandatory prerequisite online alcohol classes and those high school pledges to abstain from sex, drugs and alcohol while in college, that we took do not seem to be curving underage alcohol consumption in college. In fact it is only increasing, along with sickening new trends such as starving oneself in order to binge drink. This is a disease that has been labeled "Drunkorexia." A student will literally stop eating food or cut back so that they won't gain weight from alcohol calories. They may also purge themselves after consuming large amounts of alcohol. The habit itself is not new, but the name fairly is. This trend has been most observed among female college students. Hearing this saddens me. It makes me think 1)why would people do all of this to themselves just to drink? and 2) why do 18-year-old college girls want to drink anyway?
    I think it is safe to say that everyone, no matter what age is looking for excitement in their lives--whatever makes them happy! It could be a number of things from cardio aerobics, pottery, teaching, sky-diving, writing, shopping (one of my weaknesses)...ANYTHING! We all want to relieve stress and live life to the fullest, but, yes here comes the "but," there needs to be a balance in everything we do. Too much of anything can be bad. Personally, I don't drink because for me it is not necessary--I can laugh, have fun, and relax without a substance controlling my body/mind. I also will probably never be able to give up food. lol
    I am actually not going to throw my opinion out there full blast, because my aim is not to offend anyone. I just want you to think about what you do, the means in what you do it, and will it be healthy for you in the long run? When your body does not consume food for a long time, it begins to feed on itself. Once a man who was riding on his bike died from consuming too much water. Being under the influence may give a temporary buzz or "loosen you up," but it can also have the opposite affect and make you do things you wouldn't normally do that you could regret FOR LIFE. Please love yourself enough to make health decisions and adopt healthy habits. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE! I love me--all 270 pounds of me and I don't need a drink or a cigarette to make me happy and stress-free. No one will ever be 100% stress free. All I need is a good laugh and lots n lots of love vibes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews