Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Private, Elite Culture Shock

I am doing wonderful, but tired. Ready for Fall Break. I love Elon. Some days are FANTASTIC, while other days are a complete and total drag. I have to get used to an ENTIRE CLASS sitting in a dark classroom with their Macs in front of them. What happened to the days when you respected your elders, especially your teachers and gave them your undivided attention? Because students have their computers in front of them, they do not talk or try to get to know people and the room is dead silent. I miss Ruth Abraham. I have yet to find another close friend like her, but I am in no rush--I have to make sure I have the right one. 

I do not mean to make it seem as though I do not like college, but it is so different and so new. The resources are awesome--I utilize the Tutoring Center, Writing Center, and the gym all of the time, but because there are so many resources that so many of these kids have always had, there is a huge disconnect and a culture shock for me. I was glad to get away from DC, however, I come to a private, elite school only to be bombarded with a different kind of ignorance. And I know that this is something that will happen at any private, elite college I go to. Its just the life style, but the next question I would have to ask myself is, would I like a HBCU better? The answer is probably, no. The staff are as kind as they can be though. Perhaps it's just me.  

Aside from all of that, I just got a job as a tour guide! I am very excited about that. I am going through training now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews