Thank you for sharing in my college experience. Please follow my blog by submitting your email below.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Media Just Needs to Stop Subliminally Exploiting BLACK (people)

One of my friends on Facebook, just made a great point! The Urban Outfitters company is selling these shirts that say "BROKE IS THE NEW BLACK" and of course the shirts are BLACK. hhhuuummm Do you think this is a mere coincidence? I think not. The shirts are supposed to symbolize that we are in a recession. Why does being broke have to be associated with the color "BLACK," when African Americans are also? I'm interested to hear what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Black has always been an "in" color in the fashion industry. (Like the little black dress...) Seasonal colors come and go but forever, black has been in.

    "The new black" is an expression people use to describe something that is really "in", and will be so up and coming that it is "the new black". For instance, when going green and loving the earth became popular there were shirts and things being sold that said "green is the new black". Now, we are in this recession and everyone is struggling. This t-shirt is a tongue-in-cheek way to say it's okay that we are all struggling in the economy, it's okay that we are all broke. Because, it's "in"... it's "the new black"... Not a racial explotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I had never thought of it that way. My thing is though, why does the color association have to be black? Why cant it be green? Or red? I would love a shirt that says "Black is the new beautiful," or "Beautiful is the new Black." I would like to see a positive association for the color, because history has always shown a negative correlation--black magic; witches, black lies--we are in a recession;black shirts, slavery;black people. Catch my drift? It may seem extreme, but these kinds of messages do something to us (people) subconsciously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so my grandmother raised a good point--sort of like what you were saying. She says,
    "In accounting, when you are 'in the black' that means that you are making money. I considered the saying to refer to the fact that we as a money-making, most prosperous country who is supposed to be "in the black" is actually broke."

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews